Experienced Sr. Controls Engineer needed for growing Custom Machine and Automation company catering to the automotive industry. Design, program, and install hardware and software for special purpose machines and automation from concept to installation.
Why work here?:
- Variation of projects in the automotive industry
- High level of independence and ownership of projects
- Flexible work hours
- Family-based culture
- Health insurance premiums for employee AND family covered 100%!
- Simple IRA company match up to 3%
- Paid vacation, holidays, and personal days
- Travel to Germany for training!
- Lead the development of software machine concepts, design of control software, integration of software with electrical and mechanical systems, process development and machine installation at customer sites for assigned projects.
- Function as the software leader in working with the mechanical and electrical designers during the design process to develop a controls system that will enable the machine to perform its intended function.
- Work with project managers, customers, designers, toolmakers, and electricians to solve problems in order to provide the customer with a complete functional system.
- Accurately report software design status to the Controls Software Manager.
- Design and develop software programs (PLC and/or PC based) specific to customer and project requirements based on standard company U.S. programming methods.
- Select, test, and integrate hardware and software components such as robots, analog devices, motion controllers, sensors, vision systems, lasers, and other control related hardware.
- Verify that the software design package is complete, accurate, and safe based on sound design practices and accepted standards, prior to release to the shop floor.
- Debug and commission control systems at our facility during the system integration stage and then at the customer’s site during installation.
- Provide thorough testing of machine functionality to verify that the software program meets the project requirements.
- Provide accurate documentation for each project.
- Provide customer with training specific to their current project. i.e., machine operation, programming principles, program structure, solving technical issues.
- Travel, as required, to customer and supplier sites to perform installation, commissioning, and training duties.
- BS degree in engineering or related field preferred or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years programming and troubleshooting experience with current controls hardware and programming software in the industrial automation environment.
- Extensive knowledge of programming languages and software development for PLC's(Siemens preferred), PCs, motion control, robotics (Fanuc preferred), and vision.
- Proven leadership qualities including good oral and written communication skills, ability to work with and motivate team members, and a desire to take responsibility for key aspects of the software design needed for project completion.
- Experience in the assembly of special purpose machines, automation or robotics.
- An ability to work effectively with customers according to deadlines and under pressure-filled conditions is essential.
- Willingness to travel and to work on weekends/Holidays (as needed) for commissioning up to 40% per year
- Self-directed and results-driven
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Keeping a daily record of hours worked and preparation of various reports