Our client is a global company with over 22,000 employees. They operate shipping container terminals and ports around the world. The company offers tremendous growth, career and leadership opportunities for those with the ambition, drive and dedication to become one of the best.
Based in Elizabeth, NJ the Manager, Container Handling Equipment is responsible for managing a safe and efficient maintenance operation, supporting yard, vessel, rail, gate, and customer service needs. This position is also responsible to manage all maintenance operations within budget and according to company standards and procedures.
- Responsible to direct labor to maintain a clean and safe working environment adhering to OSHA, hazardous and corporate safety procedures.
- Direct ILA labor in all areas of equipment maintenance with the primary focus being container handling equipment.
- Investigate long-term cost savings solutions for areas of excessive repair requirements.
- Controls maintenance levels to maximize the efficiency and minimize the cost of the maintenance operation. Average budget approximately $15 million annually.
- Supervision of over 30 mechanics in the maintenance shop.
- Attends weekly operations meetings and communicates the needs of department to appropriate parties.
- Promotes a safe working environment through direct supervision, and reports all accidents/incidents through CMO system, and directs reports to safety manager.
- Promotes a productive operation through motivation and direct supervision of all ILA labor without prejudice.
- Be involved in the continued training and certification of departmental personnel consistent with company and departments requirements.
- Ensures data integrity of equipment repairs through direct supervision of ILA labor.
- Maintains a working and professional relationship with ILA labor, and is knowledgeable in ILA labor contracts. Manage the performance of the ILA labor on a daily basis, including, recommending or implementing positive reinforcement or disciplinary action as required. Resolves on the job labor issues with ILA terminal staff and/or officials and represents the interests of the company. Participates in grievance proceedings directly involved in decision making process ensuring the company’s best interests are achieved.
- Directly supervises ILA Maintenance Foremen in daily flow of maintenance shop operations. Ensures IFS work orders/ hour meters are input in a timely manner and are reviewed and signed off for accuracy.
- Ensures that all equipment needs are met on a shift-by-shift basis, and that all equipment is operationally safe.
- Ensures that terminal equipment requirements are met or exceeded with zero service failures.
- Signs and submits accurate payrolls on a daily basis ensuring individuals to be paid have been actively working on the premises.
- Promotes good working and professional relationship(s) with all terminal departments.
- Ensures that all Purchase Orders are coded correctly and charged to the correct department and code. Ensure that all Work Orders are finished in a timely manner to allow the preventive maintenance list to remain up to date.
- Maintain all records of terminal operating permits and scheduling of any required inspections by regulatory agencies.
- Write and maintain a schedule for preventative maintenance for the power equipment ensuring maximum asset life per the corporate capital investment table is achieved.
- Respond to request for repairs promptly, without disruption to terminal operations ensuring safety and cost efficiencies associated with repair are focused upon.
- Support the company’s commitment to the Integrated Management System which includes ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OSHA 18001.
- Engineering Background (Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Computer Science)
- Experience working with Heavy Machinery and/or Cranes
- Understanding of PLC logic, and integration with CMS and its fault codes,
- Mechanical systems & hydraulic systems knowledge.
- Understanding of Maintenance Principles (Budgets, root-cause, FMEA, Inventory, Planning)
- Project Management Experience
- Structured & Organized & Self Starter
- Management or supervision experience.