Our client is a global company with over 22,000 employees. They operate shipping container terminals and ports around the world. To continue to improve supply chain efficiency, flexibility and dependability they are modernizing (automating) many of their terminals. The company offers tremendous growth, career and leadership opportunities for those with the ambition, drive and dedication to become one of the best.
Based in Charlotte, NC the Interface Development Expert (Automation) will be a technical leader within a group responsible for creating the interface architecture between automated systems involved in container terminal management. These systems include ship to shore cranes, rubber tire gantry cranes, automated guided vehicles, automated gate systems, truck exchange lines and a variety of safety and operation systems. Key responsibilities include: helping to establish standards/products for the success of the programs and modernization roadmap; offering technical expertise on projects through the phases of design, construction/supplier contracts, and product standardization.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Responsible for product management, development and integration elements including but not limited to overall plan, execution, scope, cost, work schedule, design and build, and contractual deliverables for own work stream of a project by leveraging areas of expertise
- Support creation and strategy of 6 operational modules to enable modular retrofitting of state-of-the-art operations technology in existing global portfolio of terminals. Lead product development or parts of projects and services within one or more technical disciplines
- Conduct design analysis, simulations/emulations on components and/or assemblies to assist in the development process. Ensure designs are cost efficient, manufactural, and reliable
- Develop global standards and guidelines for equipment instrumentation and control, terminal design and modernization for all types of terminals, while considering best practices
- Manage functional design reviews and drive equipment control simulations/emulations based on defined equipment kinematics, functional requirements and performance metrics
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders to coordinate interrelated design and assure project requirements are met and overall project completion; ensure consistent project status reporting
- Responsible for standardized sign-off and workflow processes on critical deliverables (assumption book, operational recommendations, estimates) with the support of the Controls team
- Support the further development of PMWeb as the Infrastructure Investment management platform
- Maintain high technical standards and pioneer new techniques for improved design & development of automated systems
- Ensure standards and policies (including but not limited to areas of safety and procurement) are incorporated in the program efforts and act as an advocate to increase the operational safety through the functional requirements
- Education – Degree from an accredited college in the field of Electrical Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience - Minimum 5-10 years’ experience automation engineering and/or related product design/management roles.
- Experience programming industrial PLC’s and either database programming or PC-based control or operator interface programming.
- Agility - Strategic mindset with ability to build strong working relationships
- Collaboration - Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate across the organization with diplomacy at different levels, lead teams, and work with diverse colleagues, vendors, and contractors.
- Functional Excellence - Ability to apply analytical thinking and creative problem solving and conflict resolution to daily tasks. Must be well-organized detail-oriented, and disciplined.