A large, independent engineering and technology services firm is hiring at their office in Plano, TX. As an Industrial IT Engineer, you will be an integral and critical part of the project team!
This role could be perfect for a Controls Engineer who has a desire to get into the networking side of things. This is not a technical support or network maintenance position - you will be building and/or supporting the build of brand new LANs!
Why join this company?
- Job security - due to the industry they serve their solutions are in high demand and they're hiring to try to keep up! However, they avoid having all their "eggs in one basket" and are diversified in other areas as well.
- Low turnover - the company fosters a good work environment and their employees enjoy what they do! The company recognizes that their people are assets and that every person matters and makes a difference
- Success - they are of their proud record of zero defect projects
As the Industrial IT Engineer, your primary responsibilities include providing & developing the network architecture for the project, dedicated support for the team’s development lab, shop support for panel testing, team & customer tasks assigned or requested on network and server hardware, software and other technology products. Other responsibilities include testing network communications on site for owner furnished equipment and commissioning support. Support would take place both in the office, working remote, or at customer’s facilities. You will serve as a primary resource for the assigned engineering group for production IT support.
- The primary focus is the development the network architecture for Industrial HVAC projects and leading the effort to purchase, install, and test the network.
- Create a development environment for the projects PLC and HMI program development.
- Support the Software Factory Acceptance Test (SFAT)
- Assist with commissioning and testing on the project site.
- Support the Site Acceptance Test (SAT)
- Tracks requests and time spent on all tasks for time tracking and future estimations for tasks.
- Use and help maintain issue log for multiple projects ongoing simultaneously.
- Apply training and logic to assist team and customers in remote troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Exercise good judgment in prioritizing problems and escalating them to the next level of support when necessary.
- Utilize appropriate application to gather information, log problems, and analyze results, track problems and record resolutions.
- Perform standard reporting as required and apply history and solutions in problem solving.
- Develop an understanding of the company’s technologies, customer solutions, and expectations.
- Provides limited process, procedure and troubleshooting documentation.
- Perform other related duties and assignments as directed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Networking/Engineering or related
- Associates Degree in Computer Networking/Engineering or related and 1+ years of experience
- Technical Certificate in Computer Networking/Engineering or related and 2+ years of experience
- Must be able to travel when needed. This position will travel 30% to 60% of the time.
- Experience in IT Networking related positions.
- Experience or training that includes the knowledge and use of computer and network hardware and software. This is a heavy IT networking position.
- Should be knowledgeable in TCP/IP network protocol layer 2 & layer 3 supporting EIGRP, VLAN, IGMP, VPN, Spanning-Tree protocols, & redundancy.
- Industrial Networking Experience or management of any SCADA/HMI software platform or hardware
- Experience with industrial control systems (ie: PLCs, variable speed drives, etc). Rockwell/Allen Bradley ControlLogix & FactoryTalk View is preferred.
- Knowledgeable In:
- Direct experience with Cisco and VMware products are a big plus.
- VMware vSphere 5.5 to current, VMware Workstation 12 to current
- Multiple OS knowledge, Windows Server 2007-2016, Windows XP, 7, 8, 10, some Unix, Linux, etc.
- MS Office 2007-16, MS Visio 2007-16, MS Project 2007-16
- Intermediate networking, TCP/IP, structured cabling (troubleshooting and installation), experience with server environments and working in both wired and wireless networking environment
- Active Directory Domain and workgroup knowledge
- Able to provide support for a variety of hardware, software, etc.
- Favorable Certifications: Cisco CCENT, CompTIA Network+, VMware VCA6-DCV
- Personal Qualities/Skills:
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; eager to solve problems and fix things.
- Self-motivated, self-directed and able to work with little supervision
- Ability to interface and communicate effectively with non-technical and technical personnel.
- Must possess analytical skills, good oral and written communicative skills, good telephone technique, be a quick learner, self-motivated, patient, and be able to work in stressful situations, and at times, be available to work flexible hours.
- Initiative, creativity, decision-making, and integrity are required.