Our client is a global company with over 22,000 employees. They operate shipping container terminals and ports around the world. To continue to improve supply chain efficiency, flexibility and dependability they are modernizing (automating) many of their terminals. The company offers tremendous growth, career and leadership opportunities for those with the ambition, drive and dedication to become one of the best.
Based in Los Angeles, CA the Project Automation Manager is responsible for driving the modernization process, including: design, interfaces, simulation, commissioning and optimization within the project in close collaboration with the Civil, Equipment and IT Managers. You will interact closely with the Project Manager Operations and ensure that all operational functional requirements of the terminal are met, while being responsible for leading technical project integration and related functional design based on company standard solutions, as well as developing and deploying terminal specific business processes and automated solutions.
- You will lead the team that will be responsible for the design and implementation of all automation related systems and interfaces within the entire modernization project.
- Propose, own and win buy-in from both local and global functions for the final modernization and technical integration plan, including equipment and installations (electrical, controls and instrumentation), IT systems and civil structures.
- Directly manage and manage through consultants and suppliers, the automation and technical integration systems as part of the Equipment, Civil and IT packages.
- Take terminal overall design (including operational, civil, equipment and installations, and IT design) as input and connect details within the overarching project framework design. Focus on eliminating/minimizing risks, safeguarding schedule with approved scope and budget.
- Provide technical leadership and assists in training of less experienced engineers.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Education – Degree from an accredited college in the field of Engineering or related discipline and certification in project management is preferred.
- Experience - Minimum 10 years in a leadership role with traceable and successful hands-on functional management record. Experience with process improvement techniques, understanding of the container shipping industry and an ability to relate with shipping company and other associated industry managers is strongly preferred.
- Agility - Ability to modify important changes rapidly across organizational boundaries with a strategic mindset and ability to drive strategic technology initiatives.
- Collaboration - Able to build strong working relationships with stakeholders. Must possess empathy, personal tact, cultural understanding and well-developed communication skills (cross functional as well as on different levels).
- Functional Excellence - Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and assistance to meet objectives. Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure (time and resources), and to apply analytical thinking and creative problem solving to daily tasks. Must be well-organized, punctual and persistent (personal discipline) with strong internal client service skills. Ability to assess business issues, identify risks and correlations, interpret same into technology solutions